Friday, March 22, 2013

Yes I am guilty


‘Yes, I am guilty’

‘Yes I am guilty’ is the book written by Munwar Shah. It is one of the most memorable book I have ever read. Though many of people are aware of neither book nor author, yet this book is milestone in Marathi literature. This book is basically
an autobiography of a convict/accused?.

While reading, we realize that this book contains many forms of literature within
itself. This can be a confession; this can be a thrilling mysterious novel, a movie script or even can be a moral story.

About author:

Munwar Harun Shah.

Munwar Shah was one of the accused of Joshi-Abhyankar serial murder case in Pune & shocked not only Pune but the entire country.
He was only son of his parents. He was Muslim by religion and as per he
describes in his book, he was brilliant in studies.
Also,he was the youngest member of his gang. He completed his school studies from N.M.V. School, Pune. After enrolling himself in Poona college, he came in contact with other gang members named Jakkal, Sutar, Jag.

Background:

Munwar Shah describes the era of late seventies of Pune in this book. He describes his childhood, affection towards his Ammi & Abba (Parents); his school, his friends, his teachers.
We also get some references such as Panshet Dam breach in Pune in 1961, the war time situation in 1972, the fashion and trends in his school and college life. He also describes some funny and memorable incidents happened in his early life, in school and college days.

While reading his childhood, we eventually wonder, how come a boy from a very good
and a cultured family, with good social status, can do a heinous crime?

A man is known by the company he keeps. Munwar Shah never knew about the drastic
changes in his life. All he blames to his gang members. These are the pages from his book in which he confesses & describes the 10 murders that his gang committed. The hilarious crime, they did only to enjoy thrill.

In a section, Munwar describes about nature of other gang members. They all were nothing but the young next door men. Munwar writes, “I am still in search of the answer, how could I be so blind and foolish that I couldn’t realize the results”. He regrets, “Alas, I could avoid their company. At this stage of life I realize that it was not that difficult saying ‘sorry, I can’t work with you’!” But again he tells himself, ‘time has now gone.’


While reading this book, we relate with these characters. We actually can imagine incidence described. We may finish this 185 page book in single sitting. His command over the Marathi language is supreme. This all can be a proud thing to any writer-author. But we cannot forget that author himself is a criminal. This is the autobiography which is written in the jail, at the time when his death knell lay close. He knows his time and date of his death. Yet, he writes and gives a confession of all his crimes and still he doesn’t expect to forgive his own self.

We can sense the potential of a good person within him. Here, writer in a criminal wins.


Yes, I am guilty.

Munwar Shah

A Shubhada- Saraswat Publication, Pune.

16 comments:

  1. i want this book please can you available this book for me......my mob number is 7385921262

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Author is very close to me and was this news was kept away from me by my family but Alas! I found it what was he real scene.
    Most Loving Nephew
    -Hamza Shah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAS MUNNAVAR SHAH YOUR RELATIVE ??? WHAT HAPPEN WITH HIS FAMILY MEMBERS AND PARENTS AFTER MUNNAVAR SHAH'S DEATH...???

      Delete
  3. I read this book long back in the year 1990.I don't know now the said book is available or not. Pl make effort to bring new edition as it would benefit new generation

    ReplyDelete
  4. I badly need this book please contact me 8669109809

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book is available on Amazon. I wish I could read Marathi.
    https://www.amazon.in/Yes-I-Am-Guilty-Marathi/dp/B07H1H59ZF/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_1?crid=XW07VEXCD3QQ&keywords=yes+i+am+guilty+book&qid=1553493527&s=gateway&sprefix=Yes%2C+I+am+guilty%21%2Caps%2C940&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pl note Munmwar is innocent in one way &
    Most guilty.This very circumstances.He
    Walked a path with a gang of killers from
    there he could not turn back.Perhaps the
    Fear of meeting the same of Prakash Hegde
    He was the one apt for Witness for Prosecution.His book of confession is
    Comment able.






    ear of meeting the same of Prakash Hegde

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. A person sometimes unable to sense the situation.

      Delete
  7. Can any one lend/sell the book. English translation available?.How dare were these four! Ram Mohan Reddy, Hyderabad. 9000260487.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i need this book. how and where can i get it from plz advise me.

    ReplyDelete